Turnbull Government builds on success in the House of Representatives
The passing of the Building and Construction Industry (Improving Productivity) Amendment Billthis week capped off a successful sitting week.
The Turnbull Government introduced nine bills into the House of Representatives and passed 14. The Senate passed seven government bills without amendment, notably the ABCC Amendment Bill and the Parliamentary Entitlements Legislation Amendment Bill 2017 which will abolish the life gold pass for parliamentarians.
Minister Pyne said the amendments made to the ABCC legislation are vitally important for the construction industry.
“These changes will make the ABCC legislation even stronger; boosting competitiveness and fairness in the construction industry, which employs over a million Australians, Minister Pyne said.
“This amendment also shows how determined the Turnbull Government is in working and negotiating with the Senate crossbench in order to create good and sensible law for all Australians”.
“Abolishing the life gold pass for parliamentarians is also a significant step forward in making sure parliamentarians and former politicians are spending tax payer’s money efficiently, ethically and effectively.
Bills introduced in the House:
- Biosecurity Amendment (Ballast Water and Other Measures) Bill 2017
- Native Title Amendment (Indigenous Land Use Agreements) Bill 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Working Holiday Maker Employer Register) Bill 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (GST Low Value Goods) Bill 2017
- Disability Services Amendment (Linking Upper Age Limits for Disability Employment Services to Pension Age) Bill 2017
- Protection of the Sea (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Amendment (Polar Code) Bill 2017
- Crimes Amendment (Penalty Unit) Bill 2017
- Education and Other Legislation Amendment (No. 1) Bill 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (2017 Measures No. 1) Bill 2017
House-initiated bills passed in the Senate without amendments:
- Migration Amendment (Character Cancellation Consequential Provisions) Bill 2016
- Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Bill 2016
- Building and Construction Industry (Improving Productivity) Amendment Bill 2017
- Parliamentary Entitlements Legislation Amendment Bill 2017
- Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority Bill 2017
- Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority (Consequential Amendments) Bill 2017
- Treasury Laws Amendment (Bourke Street Fund) Bill 2017